Have you ever wondered why you feel better after hugging your partner or why your tears stop running as soon as your friend or sister is hugging you? The answer lies in the incredible power of the hug.
Hugging is a positive and extremely warm form of communication that conveys love, attachment, gratitude, protection, friendly care, parental support, encouragement …
Like every snowflake, every hug is different – it consists of a different dose touch and awakens unique emotions. Hugs send different messages – they can say “Hello“, “I missed you”, “I support you“, “I love you“, “I thank you” … But every sincere hugs brings a bunch of benefits, and for the one who embraces , and for the one that’s being hugged.
Hugging is often referred to as “miraculous remedy” because it has a positive impact on health. Hugs usually lasts about 3 seconds, but according to some experts, a healthy hug should last about 20 seconds. Here are the health benefits of hugging:
- Reducing stress. Have you ever experienced that stress simply disappears after a long hug with your partner? Hugging reduces the level of cortisol, a hormone secreted during stress, and increases levels of serotonin and dopamine, hormones associated with good mood, so it is normal to feel better after the pleasant embrace.
- Improving sleep. Reduced cortisol reduces anxiety in our brain, which leads to easier sleep. Likewise, hugging, especially in young children, is associated with a reduced activity in the center of fear in the brain, so they are more likely to fall asleep in the arms of their parents.
- Reduces pain. Surely, in childhood, you have tested this positive effect on your embrace. The pain of the bloody knee almost disappeared when your mother embraced you or forgot the pain of your injection when your father embraced you … Research done with young children proved that they feel less pain when they are in the arms of their parents.
- Reduces blood pressure. Hugging relaxes and soothes, thus slowing the breathing and rhythm of the heart, leading to a reduction in blood pressure. Studies show that such benefits are greater for women than for men.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease. High levels of cortisol and high blood pressure are associated with an increased risk of heart disease. Well, hugging in addition to reducing your stress reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and heart attack.
BENEFITS FOR SOCIAL LIFE
People are social beings and have a strong need to establish contacts with others and maintain friendly relations. But many of us have problems in building friendly relations. The reasons for this are various, starting from low self-confidence and self-esteem, to distrust in people and the fear of emotional harm. Such obstacles for building good relationships can be overcame with one simple remedy – hugging.
Hugs bring many benefits that contribute to enriching the social life and expanding the circle of acquaintances. Here are some of them:
- Your self-esteem is increasing. When someone hugs us, he actually gives us a sign that we mean him and that he has positive feelings for us, and that tells us that we are worth and increases our self-esteem and self-esteem. It is known that people who have greater self-confidence are more open to socializing and expanding the circle of acquaintances. Studies show that the absence of parental hugs in a child’s life can contribute to it without self-esteem, which later reflects negatively on his social life.
- It’s easier for you to approach people. Children who have grown up in the arms of their parents are much easier access to the people around them and easier start conversation, which results in a rich social life. When we embrace our friends, our organism provides oxytocin, which contributes to building strong relationships with them.
- Your trust in other people increases. When you get a hug from someone, especially in difficult moments, you feel a sense of security. You feel that you have someone who is on your side and who you can trust.
- Altruism becomes more noticed. Parents who have grown up their children with love and with many embraces increase their chances of growing up in people who love other people and who care about their well-being.
- The tension in mutual relations is reduced. Hugging reduces tension between people and they enjoy mutual friendship. For people who often embrace nervous movements such as hand rubbing, biting nails, playing with hair, etc. are not inherent.
- The feeling of loneliness decreases. People who get hugs do not feel lonely, because they are convinced that they have it on their own the person who embraces them.
BENEFITS FOR LOVE / MARRIAGE
“The kiss without a hug is like a flower without smell.” The given hugs from the desired ones are irreplaceable. The emotions and the connection they carry maintain the intimacy of the relationship, it wipes out everyday problems and frustrations, reminds of the existence of allegiance and attachment, maintains love fire and passion. Hugs send various messages like “You are the most important person in my life and I love you infinitely”, “I appreciate everything you do for me“, “I am the happiest person in the world because I have you” or “No problem is unsolvable when we are together “. Each hug is important in the relationship because:
- Increases its commitment. Hormone oxytocin secretion plays a key role in improving the relationship between partners. When they embrace, the feeling of rapprochement and commitment increases.
- It intensifies support. Studies have shown that support among partners is greater in couples who are more often hugged. Through their arms they are mutually encouraged and supported.
- It improves love harmony. Hugging increases confidence and trust in your partner and thus contributes to building a stable and harmonious relationship.
- Keeps the intimacy. In most relationships and marriages, there are times when there is no sex (pregnancy, childbirth, illness). In such a case, the best way to maintain intimacy is the hug, because through it you can express your love, dedication and loyalty.
The best thing about this free “cure” is that everyone can use it, act immediately, and all the side effects of it are desirable. Have you hug anybody today? Go & do it!